Saturday, May 17, 2008

May 17 - Portabella Pitas

I got this recipe from: My brain ;) I didn't serve it with anything, it's the weekend!


Portabella mushrooms are a great replacement for meat. We learned this during our weight watchers stint and, even though we are not dieting anymore, we still love them! Seriously, substitute them for hamburger patties and dress as a hamburger or here is my recipe for Portabella pitas

1 pkg whole wheat pitas
1 green pepper
1 purple onion
3 portabella mushroom caps
salt/pepper/Worcestershire sauce/ olive oil (optional)
Mayo
Swiss cheese


Rub olive oil, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper onto mushroom cap. Let sit about 5 minutes. Slice onion and green pepper. Grill mushrooms about 3 minutes on each side, grill onions and peppers as well. Meanwhile be toasting your pitas, or just warming them up. During the last minute of grilling you can place a slice of swiss over the mushroom cap to melt. Put all the fixins in the pita, add may if you want (Blaine makes fancy mayo with italian spices in it and stuff).

It is also easy to just make this in a frying pan, which is what I normally do (I just slice the mushroom caps), but we just got a grill - - so everything has to be grilled at our house!.

It's easy, fast and really yummy!

Two and a half stars!

1 comment:

Sheyenne said...

Kristi,
I have never actually had portobello mushrooms, although this sounds like a fabulous idea because I LOVE with a capital L O V E mushrooms. Definitely gonna try this.