Sunday, May 18, 2008

Black Beans & Rice

I try to make one or two vegetarian dishes a week and this is a favorite. This recipe is from Maryann Crook who was in our old ward in Arizona. We absolutely love it because it's flavorful, filling, easy to make, reheats well, and is economical.

Ingredients:
2 (14 1/2 oz) cans black beans (I like the Bush's brand best and I rinse and drain before adding)
1 (12 oz) can stewed tomoatoes (I sometimes substitute diced)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Saffron yellow rice (I buy the Mahatma brand in the yellow package)
Green onions, chopped

Directions:
Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic in olive oil. Add black beans and stewed tomatoes. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Add prepared rice. Garnish with green onion.

I also like to serve this with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey this sounds nice! Hey you guys, can I join your blog? I tried to start on like this last year, but it fizzled...

Corbett Family said...

I made this last week and it was delicious. Everyone ate it and we've since also eaten the leftovers. We ate it with cheese sour cream and tortilla chips as suggested. I would give it 3 stars!