Sunday, May 18, 2008

Korean BBQ Chicken

My husband was born and raised in Hawaii and served his mission in Japan, which means we eat a LOT of Asian food. On Friday we had a few couples from our ward over for an Asian barbeque and this chicken went over really well. It's one of our favorites. I think I'd give it 3 stars.

1 cup white sugar
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
4 tsp hot chili paste (optional)

In a medium saucepan over high heat, whisk together all ingredients except chili paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cool, and whisk in chili paste. Place chicken in mixture. Cover and let marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours before preparing chicken as desired (we like it grilled).

Serve with: sticky rice and edamame, maybe some gyoza or yakisoba as well if you're being fancy.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I am excited to try this! I have mos of the ingredients even!! Just not chili paste and that was optional, sweet!

Sounds like I need to have an Asian BBQ, or maybe Gretchen will have one and invite me over...Gretchen?

TheMoncurs said...

I never even add the chili paste and it's still so good. You're totally fine without it!

Our Asian BBQ was awesome. It would have been even more awesome if I had thought to get a pineapple to grill, but I forgot. Alas.