Monday, May 19, 2008

Hummus

May 19

From: www.recipezaar.com

Hummus usually calls for Tahini, which I don't really know what it is but I recall Janssen having a heck of a time finding it a while back and then saying it was quite expensive. I did a search for hummus without tahini and decided to give it a shot. I was surprised how easy it was to make! And just a plug (my granolaness is surfacing...be prepared...) hummus makes a great dip for carrots, or for anything that you would normally dip in ranch. It is an acquired taste, but once you acquire the taste you'll crave it, a lot.

Hummus
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained
  • 1 lemon, juice of (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • Put ingredients in blender. Blend till smooth. Chill in fridge and eat within three days.

    Comments: This was a little too lemony for my tastes (which is saying something, I LOVE lemon). I used 1/4 cup lemon juice instead of juice from a lemon so maybe that was my problem. I would recommend cutting the lemon juice in half. Also, I did not have crushed red pepper flakes, so I used some chili powder and cumin. I had to add some water while I was blending it because I wanted a really smooth hummus and it wasn't happening. I added about 1/3 cup (totally guessing).

    I would say this is 2 stars, but it has potential. Does anyone have a good hummus recipe or ideas for tweaking this one?

    2 comments:

    Alison K. said...

    just FYI Tahini is a sesame seed paste. you cna usually find it in the natural food sections.

    G said...

    I do love hummus but is there any solution to the accompanying noxious gases? I'm just sayin'... I'd eat it ALL the time if it weren't for that!