Friday, June 20, 2008

Indian-Style Chicken Curry

I made this recipe up with inspiration from the curry my mom would make growing up. I give it three stars. Since I never actually measure this stuff, I'm not positive how accurate this is, sorry. The key here is the curry paste so you don't have to collect your own spices. I use Patak's brand, which comes in several delicious flavors with varying spiciness. Collect them all! You can find the jars of curry paste in the international foods aisle of some grocery stores (Randall's here had it last I checked) or an Indian market (there's one over by the Best Buy on 45 around here).

1 medium onion, sliced

2 chicken breasts, cubed

3 Tbs. lemon juice

2-4 Tbs. Indian curry paste

1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.)

1 lb. frozen okra

1 cup frozen peas (optional)

garlic salt to taste (optional)


Directions:

Cook onions and chicken in large frying pan over medium high heat. Stir in curry paste (vary based on how frugal you want to be and how strong and how spicy you want it) and cook for about 5 minutes. Add canned tomatoes and simmer for about 5 additional minutes. Add frozen veggies and garlic salt, if using. Simmer at least until vegetables are cooked, stirring occasionally. The okra naturally thickens the curry. The longer you simmer, the better the flavors turn out, so I try to simmer for about half an hour. Shortly before serving, stir in lemon juice (add extra if you like, I have no idea how much I use) and let it simmer for a minute or two before serving.

Serve over rice (basmati rice is most authentic and very yummy).


Note: I've made this with beef before too when I was out of chicken. I prefer the chicken, but I thought the beef was (Sorry all you Hindus!) SACRILICIOUS!!!

No comments: