Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Crock pot burritos

These are definitely a crowd pleaser and before we got in to making cafe rio style burritos and salads we would always make these. They have a great smokey flavor, so delicious!

Four Stars!

Crock Pot Burritos


1.5 lbs of some type of steak meat like boneless round or something or a roast of some kind, any kind will do

1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes

2 cloves garlic

1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce if you are BRAVE and want your mouth to burn off. Since I am not I use jalapeƱos (like the kind you put on nachos) and a few dashes of liquid smoke (chipotle peppers are just smoked jalepenos, and if you don't have liquid smoke you are missing out in life). I am sure you could just use the jalapeƱos, even fresh ones, I like the smoke flavor and liquid smoke isn’t too expensive, plus you could use it to make beef jerky later, and that yummy steak marinade (which I had again and love, first steaks in my life I haven't dunked completely in A1).

Cilantro

Chili Powder

Cumin

Oregano

Four tortillas

Guacamole/avocados

Tomatoes

Onions

Cheese

Sour cream

1pkg flour tortillas

Put the meat, canned tomatoes, some cilantro, dashes of cumin and chili powder, jalepenos and 1T liquid smoke in crock pot. Cook for 5-6 hrs, until you can shred with a fork. Early on in the day I make a salsa fresca by putting freshly diced tomatoes and onion together in a bowl with some lemon juice, salt and pepper and a little cilantro. Cover and let the salsa sit in the fridge while the meat cooks. Shred the meat. Serve with the salsa fresca and some fresh guacamole and cheese. I usually wrap the tortillas in foil and put in the oven on 200 for about five minutes before serving, or you can fry them, both are good!

No comments: