Thursday, June 26, 2008

Broccoli Cheese Soup

I got this recipe from a very old friend. It's one of the few things my daughter will actually look forward to having for dinner. I give it 3 stars (because I don't do half stars, otherwise I'd give it 3.5).

6 cups chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen - I use 2 1lb bags of frozen chopped broccoli)
1 grated carrot
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp parsley flakes
5 chicken bouillon cubes (okay, so maybe not vegetarian in the strictest sense)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup flour
1 pint heavy cream
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated

Add bouillon cubes to 5 cups water. Boil and add vegetables and parsley. Cook until tender, about 5 min. Mix about 1/3 cup milk with the flour, stirring until smooth. Stir flour mixture and rest of milk into soup, then stir in cream. Cook for a little while until it starts to thicken. Add grated cheese and cook only until cheese melts.

I usually serve this with the rolls in my next post.

No comments: