Sunday, June 22, 2008

Crock-pot Chili

This is super-easy to put together and makes a ton!!! I am attempting freezing part of it right now...we'll see how that turns out. It also got 3rd place in the Ward Chili Cook-Off...if they only knew how simple it was. My kids even love it because it's not too spicy. For them I usually stir in some sour cream to cool it off and give it a more mild flavor. We usually have chili and cornbread muffins (Betty Crocker) the first night and use it for Navajo Tacos as leftovers (and there is still a bunch left).

Ingredients:

*1 can kidney beans
*1 can pinto beans
*1 can black beans
*1 can white beans (also called Great Northern)
*1 can chile con carne (regular chile with meat)
*1 can stewed tomato
*1 lb. hamburger (cooked)
*1/2 pkg. taco seasoning
*season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt

Put everything in the crockpot and cook on low 3-4 (or simmer on stove for 30-45 minutes, stirring frequently). Garnish with grated cheese, sour cream, and whatever else you like!

I usually do the hamburger while I empty out all the cans. Make sure to include all the "juices." I do the stewed tomatoes last and cut them up some.

I'd give it 3 1/2 stars for our family.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

This chili recipe sounds great! I haven't heard of Navajo Tacos before -- I'd love to know how you put those together because I like to put a spin on leftovers when I can.

Kristi said...

mmmm Navajo Tacos, I love those. Jessica it is like a taco on a scone. De-li-ci-ous. If anyone makes these you should probably invite us over for dinner, because the crock pot is off limits to me while pregnant. I would have to walk around with a constant stream of febreeze under my nostrils ;).