Saturday, November 22, 2008

One pot spaghetti

I have been on a cooking hiatus lately, we've been having boring fare like chili and baked potatoes. No one in our house is happy about it, but really I just haven't felt up to the task of making an actual meal. So the other night I was going to make spaghetti only to find I had no spaghetti sauce. So I was going to make spaghetti sauce and came across this recipe for "one pot spaghetti" and I thought, now there, there, is something I feel up to. And I thought it turned out really good and really, one pot. No complaints there. So if you're feeling lazy....

8oz ground beef or bulk pork sausage (we actually didn't have any meat, so I substituted lots of mushrooms!)
1 C mushrooms or 1can mushrooms
1/2 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic or 1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 14 oz can of chicken or beef broth
1 3/4 C water
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 t oregano
1/2 tsp basil or marjoram
1/4 tsp black pepper
6 oz dried spaghetti
1/4 C parmesan cheese

In large saucepan cook the ground beef, fresh mushrooms, onion and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender, Drain.
Stir in the canned mushrooms (if using), broth, water, tomato paste, oregano, basil and pepper, bring to boiling. Add the broken spaghetti, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Return to boiling, reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 17-20 minutes or until spaghetti is tender and sauce is of the desired consistency, stirring frequently. Serve with parmesan cheese.

As mentioned, I didn't use meat, just lots of fresh mushrooms. Also the sauce seemed extra peppery, so I think I maybe either accidentally doubled the pepper, or 1/4 pepper is more peppery than you might imagine. I actually really liked it, but if you don't like pepper maybe start out with less. Now that I think about it though I bet I accidentally doubled it. I don't know. Also 6oz of spaghetti is not a lot. I put in a lot more than that and noticed my sauce was not going to be enough for the spaghetti to cook so I added some diced tomatoes with the sauce and a little extra water. Anyway, good quick meal for those of us who forget to buy spaghetti sauce and only like to use one pan : )

No comments: