Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vaguely Thai-Like Salad

I know that title doesn't sound so fabulous, but the recipe is actually very good. I just couldn't bring myself to actually title it "Thai Salad" like the newpaper clipping it came from did. It's yummy and the dressing is fabulous yet non-oily. I LOVE this for the summer months especially. You'll enjoy it as long as you don't expect authentic Thai fare.

1 lb beef steak (1/2 inch thick) OR 1 lb chicken (I usually use chicken even though beef would make it a smidgen more authentic)

Dressing:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp lemon juice (or you know, more if you're me)
3 Tbsp brown sugar (I usually use less than this but M avoids sugar and I like things tart)
2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed (depending on how strong you like your garlic flavor - I press)
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (this comes out fairly spicy, especially the first serving where all the chili flakes are floating on top - feel free to vary the type of chili and the quantity to taste)

These are the other suggested components of the salad. The recipe states quantities and I never pay attention to them, so I refuse to post them as I can't vouch for them:
lettuce
shredded carrot
thinly sliced green onions
cooked thin spaghetti, or better yet, I use cappellini
fresh cilantro

Cut up your meat and cook it (I usually just George my chicken). Let the meat cool. Same deal with the noodles. Mix all the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well (that brown sugar has a pesky habit of sticking to the bottom). Assemble your salad and enjoy!

1 comment:

stampinashley said...

Hhhmmm... sounds so very similar to the one I posted some time ago.

I'm sure I'd love it, since I LOVED the other one!