Monday, July 7, 2008

Couscous and Black Bean Salad

I have just been too busy unpacking and getting my internet connected to actually post what I have been cooking (frozen lasagna, anyone?). Now we are finally back into the swing of things, and lest ye think that I never cook, I think I should finally contribute. Here is a salad my little sister sent to me that I made last week to go with some steaks Jim grilled up.

We give it 3 stars (Jim said he would have preferred less couscous and more of the "other stuff")!!! I thought it was super yummy!

Couscous and Black Bean Salad

1C uncooked couscous
1 1/4C chicken broth
3T olive oil
2T fresh lime juice
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
8 green onions, chopped (I didn't have any, so I threw in 1/4 red onion, diced)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4C fresh cilantro
1C frozen corn kernals, thawed
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed (I did 1 can black beans and 1 can kidney beans)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Bring chicken broth to a boil in a 2qt or larger sauce pan and stir in the couscous. Cover the pot and remove from heat. Let stand 5 min.

In large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, and cumin. Add green onions, red pepper, corn and beans and toss to coat.

Fluff the couscous well, breaking up any large chunks. Add to the bowl with the vegetables and mix well. Season with salt/pepper as desired.

Serve immediately or refridgerate.


Oh, FYI- we served this freshly made the first time and then for leftovers we never heated it up. It was just as good cold as when first prepared.

No comments: