Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Favorite Snickerdoodles

Somehow these snickerdoodles manage to be both chewy and crispy, which I think is the perfect combination for dipping in milk! (Recipe comes from Kitchen Keepsakes & More Kitchen Keepsakes by Bonnie Welch and Deanna White).

Ingredients:
1 c shortening (I use butter-flavored Crisco)
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 c flour, sifted
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Cream together shortening, sugar, and eggs. Sift together and stir in flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt. Shape dough into balls the size of walnuts. Roll each in mixture of the sugar and cinnamon. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet (I always put parchment paper on my cookie sheets when I make cookies -- no clean up!). Bake 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees, or until lightly (lightly!!!) browned. Makes 2-3 dozen.

These are Mike's favorite cookies and I usually find myself making these around 11pm while we're watching tv. I don't always have the patience and attention to roll them into balls and in the sugar/cinnamon mixture so I usually delegate that and I recommend doing the same!

4 stars!

No comments: