Monday, March 30, 2009

Whole wheat tortillas

I've never made tortillas before, but it costs $2.50 to buy a package of 12 whole wheat tortillas at the store, and I think I can do better than that. So I looked up a recipe and am excited to try it. I want to store it here, even though I haven't tried it yet... but it had excellent reviews, so hopefully you're all cool with that.


  1. Combine flours, baking powder, and salt.
  2. Stir in the oil and water all at once, using mixer or a fork, and toss quickly.
  3. When dough can be gathered into a soft mass, turn onto floured surface and knead a few times.
  4. Form 8 balls of dough, dredge in flour, and store in a plastic bag to prevent drying until ready to be used.
  5. Flatten first ball of dough into a disk.
  6. Roll out dough on floured surface until 7 inches or larger with even strokes that do not reach to the edge, turning over frequently.
  7. Place tortilla in ungreased, frying pan that has been preheated to medium-high heat.
  8. Cook 30-40 seconds on one side, turn over with spatula and cook 30-40 seconds on other side., First side should be pale and sprinkled with brown spots and the other side will be blotched.
  9. Repeat process with other balls of dough.
  10. Stack tortillas on a plate as they are cooked and cover them with a dish towel, which will keep them soft.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

where is the ingredients list and the amounts to use??

Kristi said...

ha whoops, I'll find it again and repost, thanks.

Sarah said...

On my mission I knew some ladies that had tortilla presses. There has got to be somewhere around here where we can get one. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

I found tortilla presses online for pretty cheap, also some of the hispanic markets have them I am sure.