Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Baklava

In direct contrast to the vegetable soup recipe listed below, I am posting baklava. It was fun to make and eat, since it is different from my standard "treat fare". It took about 1 1/2 hours to make, most of that time being the chopping of the nuts. You want them pretty fine and I don't have a magic chopper. The fillo dough is located in the freezer section.

I followed the recipe, except for:
1) doubled the syrup recipe, as some reviewers suggested, and used all but maybe 1/2 cup.
2) the recipe doesn't specify what type of nut to use. I used cashews. I think almonds/walnuts might taste better (although how can you go wrong with this syrupy sweetness?).
3) the recipe says bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown. For my oven, "golden brown" was after 25 minutes - so watch closely.

Opa!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this with pistacios!

Robin said...

ooooh! yeah!