Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Superfoods Vegetable Soup

I didn't expect my kids to eat this, but they did, and it is LOADED with good stuff! I'm tagging it as vegetarian, but I added some cut up chicken I had in my freezer, just to make the kids happy. I didn't list that on the recipe though.

Superfoods Vegetable Stew - Serves 8

3 Tbsp + 2 cups vegetable broth (I used chicken because that's all I had)
2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large red onion, cut into thin wedges
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander (didn't have any so I just put some extra cumin in there)
3/4 tsp Mrs Dash seasoning (didn't have so I used Lawry's seasoned salt... prob not the same but oh well)
1/4 tsp pepper
2 (15 1/2-oz) cans chickpeas, drained
2 (15 1/2-oz) cans diced tomatoes
12-oz package fresh baby spinach
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp water
4 cups cooked rice or couscous (optional)


Spray Dutch oven with cooking spray; add 3 Tbsp vegetable broth to pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes and onion to pan; sprinkle with garlic powder and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add bell peppers, cumin, coriander, Mrs Dash seasoning and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until peppers are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, spinach and remaining vegetable broth. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes, until heated through. Combine cornstarch and water in a small cup; mix well. Gradually add cornstarch mixture to stew; bring to a boil over high heat. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until stew thickens, about 1 minute. Serve over cooked rice or couscous if desired. Do not freeze. Stew can be refrigerated and reheated up to 4 days.

Nutrition per serving:
Calories 194
Fat 2.5 g
Carbs 37g
Protein 9g
Fiber 9g
Sodium 880 mg
cholesterol 0 mg

No comments: