Saturday, December 6, 2008

My Mom's Cinnamon Rolls

I give this 5 stars and I also give credit to my mom, who makes the same recipe but somehow ends up with yummier rolls than I ever do.

Combine:
3 1/2 cups warm water
1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
6 T. yeast
1 T. salt

Let rest 15 minutes.

Then add:
3 eggs
10 cups flour

Roll out right away on a floured surface. Sprinkle with brown sugar, white sugar, and any other kind of sugars you can dream up. Oh, and cinnamon. Throw on some raisins if that's your thing. Roll up and cut into cinnamon rolls. I use floss to cut the individual rolls. Stick the floss under the roll and cross the treads on top and pull. Voila! Cut, not smashed, cinnamon rolls. (Does everyone already know this trick?) Stick the rolls on a cookie sheet and let raise 10-20 minutes. Bake 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Drizzle with frosting. I prefer cream cheese frosting on these, but if you want to just do a powdered sugar/milk/vanilla/maple flavoring glaze, that's fine, too.

p.s.--my cream cheese frosting recipe goes like this: 1 big block of cream cheese (8 oz?), a stick of butter, a hit of vanilla, and powdered sugar added until it's the consistency you want. If you think it's too thick, add just a touch of milk to thin it, but I rarely find I need the milk, especially if the butter is room temperature. That's it. So easy and so, so good. MAN, I miss sugar...

No comments: