- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup whole bran cereal
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole bran cereal
- In a large bowl, add boiling water to the first cup of bran cereal, cool.
- Cream shortening or margarine, sugar, eggs, and buttermilk together. Add to bran mixture. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold in the 2 cups of bran cereal. Stir only until moistened.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree F (220 degree C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
I added a splash of vanilla and a little molasses (because really, when else am I going to use molasses). Someone also suggested topping with nuts or course sugar so they look fancy, I added some chopped nuts on top and it was great!
Enjoy! And then enjoy again for six weeks!