Friday, October 10, 2008

Food Storage Friday

My goal is to learn how to use the things we have in our food storage, so I decided today that every Friday I'm going to try something in that genre. The husband seems a little disappointed in the plan, but he'll thank me later when we actually know how to use this stuff.

This recipe is from a lady (Leslie Probert) that presented a class on food storage at Education Week.

Puerto Rican Beans and Rice

3 1/2 c. soaked and cooked dry black beans (or 2 cans of black beans undrained)
1 T. dried green pepper
1 T. dried onion
2 T ketchup
1/2 T olive oil
1 t. oregano
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 t. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt (none if using canned beans)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
hot cooked rice

Put beans and all ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes uncovered. Serve over rice. 4-5 servings

My review of this recipe is that for what it is (beans and rice), it's pretty good. Not gourmet, but good enough that if you were in need of using your food storage, you wouldn't be sad to have this one night. 3 stars.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

That sounds like a pretty flavorful recipe for using all food storage items. I'll have to keep it on my list and try it out!