Here's what we had for dinner last night. Prep time is about 30 minutes. Baking also 30 minutes so start one hour before you want to eat. I like meals that bake because I can do the prep whenever my baby is asleep.
* Exported from MasterCook *
Homemade Mac and Cheese
"Few Foods have the universal kid appeal of macaroni and cheese from a box. But make it from scratch, with extra-sharp Cheddar, and the dish becomes a rich, creamy treat that appeals to the whole family."
Recipe By :Emily Page
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:30
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups elbow macaroni
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cans evaporated skim milk
12 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese -- shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tsp dijon mustard
3/8 tsp pepper
3 slices bread
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup parmesan cheese -- grated
2 tbsp butter or margarine
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Cook pasta to box directions, drain put in large bowl. Stir in water, set aside.
3. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Sprinkle in flour and stir constantly until it browns slightly. (About 2 minutes)
4. Whisk in milk and reduce heat to low. Melt in cheese and add salt.
5. Pour pasta in a sprayed 9x13 baking casserole dish, and pour cheese sauce on top.
6. In separate bowl, toss bread, garlic salt, butter and Parmesan cheese together. Crumble on top of mac and cheese casserole.
7. Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes until hot and bubbly
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 181 Calories; 8g Fat (37.7% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 352mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
NOTES : With its bread crumb topping and cheesy sauce, our casserole is a master of disguise when it comes to sneaking veggies into your child's diet. Just stir 1 to 2 cups of broccoli florets, frozen peas, or sliced peppers into the boiling noodles about one minute before they reach al dente, then drain both and combine with the sauce before baking.