Friday, May 15, 2009

Whole-Wheat Banana-Strawberry Muffins

Well, would you look at that. I made something that wasn't an America's Test Kitchen recipe!

Mimi's Giant Whole-Wheat Banana-Strawberry Muffins

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (some reviewers said the recipe was too cinnamon-y, so I halved this since sometimes I find too much cinnamon flavor distracting)
  • 1 cup frozen sliced strawberries (I used the fresh strawberries I had going bad on my counter, which was the inspiration to try this recipe. I cut them into fairly small chunks - like half inch-ish cubes - per suggestions of some reviewers.)
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 large muffin cups, or line with paper liners. (I used regular sized muffin cups and filled them pretty much all the way. They don't rise a ton. Ended up with 16 muffins total.)
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, oil, brown sugar, vanilla and bananas. Combine the flour, baking soda and cinnamon; Stir into the banana mixture until moistened. Stir in the strawberries until evenly distributed. Spoon batter into muffin cups until completely filled.
  3. Bake for 18-20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when pressed lightly. Cool before removing from the muffin tins.

No comments: