Saturday, October 10, 2009

Pesto Pizza w/ Pinenuts and Feta

I finally made a pizza that wasn't a total disaster! I think part of it is that I always make pizzas on a cookie sheet and they always get kind of soggy. Whatever : )

This was seriously the best pizza I've ever made, and possibly the best one I've ever eaten!

1 batch pizza dough
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken (I used the Lemon Garlic Chicken)
Pesto
4 oz feta cheese
1/2 red onion, cut in slivers
1-2 large tomatoes sliced (I used grape tomatoes cut in half)
Shredded mozzarella (to your liking)
Toasted pine nuts (to your liking)

Preheat pizza stone (I preheat my oven and pizza stone at 475 degrees for at least 45 minutes before baking the pizza so the stone is nice and hot). Roll out prepared pizza dough and place on pizza peel (or on pizza pan if you aren't baking it on a pizza stone). Top pizza dough with the pesto, spreading liberally to outer edges of dough. Layer on additional toppings to your liking (I like to reserve some of the toppings and put them on top of the final layer of cheese) and bake for 8-10 minutes until nicely browned.

I have no pizza stone, so I baked on a cookie sheet for like 13 minutes and used this crust recipe!

3 cups flour, more or less
1 tablespoon honey, heaping
1 tablespoon oil, heaping
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. (If using a pizza stone, let stone heat for at least 30 minutes in the oven before baking pizza.) Mix all pizza dough ingredients together, except the flour. Add flour and knead for a bit then put into pan (or use a pizza peel and pizza stone). If baking in a sheet pan, bake for about 12 minutes (checking often) until crust is browned and cheese is golden and bubbly. If baking on the preheated pizza stone, slide pizza onto stone and bake for about 8 minutes. Makes 1 large pizza.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh and I got this recipe from the mykitchencafe blog, and also I didn't use lemon garlic chicken. I used leftover chicken from making the chicken gyros I posted on here a while ago. Thanks!