Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Homemade Devil Dog, Ding Dong or Hostess Cake


I made this for my son's birthday on Sunday. The recipe comes from the ever reliable Smitten Kitchen.

The chocolate cake was lovely and everything a chocolate cake should be. If I were to make it again, though, I would follow Deb's original plan using the marshmallow/7 minute frosting only for the filling and covering the outside with chocolate ganache. I was out of cream and thus couldn't make ganache so I just covered the whole thing with the 7 minute frosting like she also ended up doing. It was a real stretch to fill and cover the whole thing with one batch and the outside acquired this oddly sticky, gummy texture as it sat. It was beautiful (almost shimmery) but most of us ate around the exterior frosting. It was really yummy as filling though!

Recipe here.

No comments: