Friday, December 31, 2010

Greek Seven Layer Dip


Picture and recipe from www.ourbestbites.com
Made this yummy appetizer yesterday, loved it! And the best news is that you can print a coupon out for hummus and get it free at Smith's! Woot. Hey maybe there is a market for a recipe blog that is also a deal blog...hmmm. Anyway, this is a fun twist on seven layer dip, and supposedly it is better for you than refried beans, sour cream, and cheese : )
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened ( I used low-fat)
1 tsp dill weed or Greek Seasoning (salt free) - I just used the dill
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 C hummus (really easy to make yourself if you don't want to buy it)
1 c seeded, diced cucumbers
1 c seeded, diced tomatoes
1/2 c chopped Kalamata olives
1/3 c chopped green onions
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese (oh. my. gosh. I totally forgot to put this in mine. That is so lame)
1/8 c minced fresh parsley
With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, seasoning, garlic and lemon juice until light and fluffy. Spread in the bottom of a pie plate or a small, shallow baking dish. Then spread a layer of hummus. In order, create layers by sprinkling the cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, onions, Feta, and parsley. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least two hours. Serve with pita chips, fresh veggies, and/or flatbread.
I have to admit I just shed a tear typing this recipe and realizing I forgot to add feta. So lame. Everyone loved this dip! I was afraid the flavors would be too bold for some, but it got an enthusiastic thumbs up from all! Also, I bought the kalamata olives at an olive bar in the grocery store and five minutes after I put them, in their fancy container (clearly marked $8/lb) Blaine called in from the other room "hey! You weren't saving those olives for anything were you?". He was totally feeding them to our children. Apparently he thinks it is normal for me to buy fancy olives in fancy containers to feed to the riffraff who would probably prefer cheez-its. Sigh. So clearly mark your olives ladies and gents. Maybe lock them up.
And don't forget the feta. Ugh!
Happy New Years!

1 comment:

Riya Joshi said...

The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much!
bedroom curtains dubai