Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lentejas

Since I am trying to base my recipes on what I receive in my bountiful basket I got myself into a real pickle this week. I didn't order one for last Saturday and here it is only Tuesday and my pantry is practically bare. Since I don't want to go to the store and have what happened to me two weeks ago happen again (I went to Costco on Wednesday and when my bountiful basket came on Saturday it was everything I had purchased already earlier in the week- not kidding- sweet potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, blackberries, tangelos, everything), I am trying to hold out and not go grocery shopping until Saturday after my BB arrives.

So, it's been kind of a stretch to make good meals. Janssen sent me a recipe for lentil soup and as I made it I realized it is something we actually have often at our house and Blaine usually makes it. It is something that he ate a lot of in Spain while he was on his mission- lentejas. Anyway, I will post the Janssen/Martha Stewart version here but just know, from Blaine's experimenting that you can add all sorts of things (pepperoni and red peppers are a favorite) to the mix and it makes it all the better.

3 srips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (duh, use more than this)
1 large onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4inch moons
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 T tomato paste
1 1/2 C lentils, picked over and rinsed
1/2 t dried thyme
2 cans chicken broth (3 1/2 C)
1T red-wine vinegar
coarse salt and ground pepper

In dutch oven, or other large pot with tight fitting lid, cook bacon until browned and crisp. Pour off all but 1T fat. Add onion and carrots, cook until softened (5 minutes). Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about thirty seconds. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Add lentils, thyme, broth and 2 C water (oooooooohhh I totally forgot to add this, whoops, no wonder it didn't make much. Idiot). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until lentils are tender 30-45 minutes.

Stir in vinegar, 1 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t pepper. Serve immediately. If you want to omit the bacon (weirdo) then you can and cook the onions and carrots in 1T olive oil.

This was really yummy and you should totally double it!

1 comment:

Riya Joshi said...

Hello man! Incredible post however I extremely needed to simply drop a remark on your blog. Your blog has a super cool outline. Is this wordpress by possibility? Carpet Sale Dubai