Thursday, April 29, 2010

Chili Verde


3 Tbs worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs garlic pepper ( I used just garlic, because I don't know what garlic pepper is!)
3 lbs pork picnic roast ( I used 6 pork chops)
1 large onion, diced
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
2 (4 oz) cans diced green chilies, drained
3 (7 oz) cans green salsa (or one batch of your homemade tomatillo salsa!)
2 (15.5 oz) cans great Northern beans, drained (I used a can of black beans and a can of corn)

1. Pour half of the worcestershire sauce into the pan of the slow cooker, and half of the garlic pepper. Place the roast in the pan and sprinkle remaining worcestershire sauce and garlic pepper over the top. Add the onions, and chilies, and pour in the chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (or high for 5 hours!)
2.b When roast is tender enough to pull apart with a fork, add the green salsa, and the beans, if desired. Continue cooking until heated through. Serve as soup, over chimichangas, or over rice (I served over rice!)

* recipe from allrecipes.com

* The best thing that ever happened to me as a chef was learning to improvise. Obviously I did not have all the ingredients for this recipe, but I made substitutions and the result was awesome, I really loved it. So don't be afraid to improvise!

No comments: