Friday, February 5, 2010

BTS Cake

I imagine you've tried BTS cake at some point in your life. It's pretty good, but its' name is a bit graphic for the family party I was bringing it to. Anyway, here's the original recipe:

1 pkg. devils food cake mix
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
6 oz. caramel ice cream topping
3 Heath bars, crumbled
1 container cool whip

1. Prepare the cake according to box instructions. I cut my oil in half because the cake gets a lot of moisture added into it, so why keep unnecessary calories?
2. When cake is finished baking, poke holes in it with a wooden spoon. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the entire thing, then cover with caramel. Sprinkle some of the Heath bars. Let cool.
3. Frost with cool whip and sprinkle the rest of the Heath bars on top. Serve cold.

This is really good. But, as I was making it, I remembered that I have a LOT of peanut butter in my food storage that is close to expiring. So I substituted 1 cup melted peanut butter (microwave it 20 seconds at a time and stir till it's the consistency of melted chocolate) for the caramel and topped with Reese's peanut butter cups instead. It was great, even better than the original recipe b/c it was my husband's birthday cake and he loves peanut butter.

No comments: